The Divine Word College of Laoag, earlier known as Saint William's College, is a Catholic institution of higher learning run by the Society of the Divine Word or SVD in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, Philippines. It was founded by Rev. Fr. Alphonse Mildner, SVD in 1946.
In February 1945, Rev. Fr. Alphonse M. Mildner, SVD upon the advice of the Father Provincial, Rev. Fr. Kondring, SVD, proceeded to Laoag, Ilocos Norte to see the possibility of establishing a Catholic school. This was the response to the persistent invitation of Rev. Msgr. Ignacio Cordero, the parish priest at that time.
From the time the school formally opened in July 1946, the administration composed of Fr. Alphonse Mildner, SVD Director, Fr. John D. Vogelgesang, SVD, Procurator and Mr. Federico D. Sales, Registrar, was beset with seemingly insurmountable problems such as the need of teachers, books, supplies and equipment. Dr. Felino Palafox is noted to have been the first teacher to sign up and then later became the first physician. To meet the problems of classrooms and offices, the administration requested to owners of buildings near the parish for this temporary purpose.
Three months after the formal opening of classes, the first issue of the school’s official organ, the Guide was published with Leandro Batara as the First editor-in-chief. Today, it is calledWilliamite. One year later, the maiden issue of the school’s annual Logos came off the press. Both publications spoke loudly and still do of the lofty ideals fostered by the institution.